From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: MCE in kernel
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 04:20:18
1 On 9/1/07, Tim <root@×××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Thank you for the response, Tim:
4 >
5 > This makes little sense without knowing what partition you removed and
6 > what you mean by "removing" it - did you take it out of /etc/fstab? Did
7 > you actually repartition your disk? What partition was it, what kind was
8 > it (primary, logical, extended) and what was on it? Hopefully we can be
9 > of more assistance with this info.
12 I removed the partition from /dev/fstab. It is a partition on /dev/sda1, a
13 SATA drive, with about 20% fragmentation. I moved everything off the drive,
14 and will reformat, making sure it is in ext3 or other journaling format.
15 Something was triggering a check every boot. (message saying the partition
16 was not properly mounted---I don't have access to the exact message now).
17
18 I wonder whether this kind of hardware issue might trigger the Machine Check
19 Exception.
20
21 Thank you,
22
23 Alan Davis
27 -Tim
28 > --
29 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
35 Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan lngndvs@×××××.com
36
37 "An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need for one
38 non-existent."
39 ---Lord Raleigh (aka John William Strutt), or else his son,