From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel upgrade and now LUKS failure.
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 20:18:33
1 Am 05.05.2010 21:39, schrieb Daniel Troeder:
2
3 >> With this password I get a "bad decrypt" so this explains why it
4 >> fails.
5 > If you cannot decrypt your keyfile (with openssl) then you have just
6 > lost any way to decrypt your partition!
7 >
8 > But there is an idea in the man page of which I didn't think: did
9 > you maybe change your users password? If so, you need to use the old
10 > pw to decrypt the keyfile. If you can, then you can use the new pw to
11 > encrypt the key again (make backups of the original file).
12
13 user-pw not changed, no ...
14
15 > There is also the possibility your keyfile was corrupted somehow
16 > (file system corruption?). Do you have a backup of the keyfile (and
17 > your data:)?
18
19 Restored the key-file from tape, no diff, no success.
20 I have some images as backup, would have to look closer ...
21
22 > BTW: a LUKS encrypted partition can have 8 keys (in so called "key
23 > slots"), so that you can add a "fallback key" the next time, which
24 > you store at a trusted place.
25
26 I am pretty sure that I used several slots, yes.
27
28 -
29
30 Remember that I said: "I am not sure which HOWTO I followed" ?
31
32 What if I didn't use aes-256-ecb?
33
34 I will try some other ciphers .... ;-)
35
36 Oh my, I luv documentation :-)
37
38 S