From: "G.Wolfe Woodbury" <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WM that does not require policykit, consolekit, and gudev
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 21:55:47
1 On 09/10/2012 05:19 PM, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
2 > 3. Select another WM that is more "lightweight" and doesn't require
3 > these USE flags.
4 >
5 > I'm leaning towards (3).
6 >
7 > Can you recommend a WM that will not require me to enable gudev,
8 > policykit, and consolekit?
9 >
10 When I want a real barebones desktop (say for a VM test) without all the
11 cruft of
12 GNOMNE or KDE, I generally use LXDE
13
14 emerge ldxe-meta lxdm
15 (two packages, the meta package does not include the desktop manager)
16
17 then config /etc/conf.d/xdm to start "lxdm"
18
19 Gets most of the useful stuff without committing to all of GNOME or KDE
20 LXDE will run most of the "gtk" based tools found in the app and x11-*
21 categories
22
23 Happy installing!
26 G.Wolfe Woodbury