From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] General weirdness - a tale of woe.
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 13:50:01
1 * Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> [150528 08:45]:
2 > On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 8:01 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 [..SNIP..]
4 > UUIDs are often preferable in these kinds of configurations, because
5 > you're less likely to run into duplicate identifiers, they don't
6 > change, and so on. If I mount root=UUID=foo, then my initramfs will
7 > try really hard to find that partition and mount it. If I mount
8 > root=label=foo then it will still try hard, but if for some reason I
9 > have more than one device with that label I could end up booting from
10 > the wrong one. If I mount root=/dev/sda1 then my boot may fail if I
11 > add a new drive, if the kernel behavior changes, if the udev behavior
12 > changes, and so on.
13 >
14 > I don't believe either the kernel or udev makes promises about device
15 > names being stable. It often works out this way, but it isn't ideal
16 > to depend on this.
17 >
18 > --
19 > Rich
20
21 It's worse than just getting the wrong filesystem mounted if the wrong
22 filesystem gets mounted as /tmp.
23
24 OpenRC's bootmisc will wipe the /tmp directory at boot (and likely
25 systemd as well, but I haven't checked.)
26
27 This means if disk device names get shifted and something other than the
28 proper /tmp device gets mounted as /tmp then it's "restore-from-backups"
29 time.
30
31 This happened to me and wiped /home (the /dev/md* devices got renumbered
32 once.)
33
34 So I've switched to UUID mounts so that problem doesn't happen in the
35 future.
36
37 It's really unpleasant if that happens.
38
39 Todd