From: Mike <whodie@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do you handle new Xorg + nvidia + ~x86?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 05:06:02
1 � Guerrero wrote:
2 > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 03:36:13 +0200
3 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Dienstag, 11. September 2007, Roy Wright wrote:
6 >>> Howdy,
7 >>>
8 >>> Well, I had to local mask
9 >>>
10 >>> =x11-base/xorg-server-1.4-r1
11 >>> =x11-base/xorg-server-1.4
12 >>> =x11-base/xorg-x11-7.3
13 >>>
14 >>> today to keep portage from blocking. My guess
15 >>> is that eventually a new version of nvidia-drivers
16 >>> will be available and a new revision of xorg-server
17 >>> will arrive that will support it (no longer block all
18 >>> versions of nvidia-drivers).
19 >>>
20 >>> Until that time will probably just keep masking
21 >>> xorg-server and hope I remember to unmask
22 >>> xorg-x11 at that time.
23 >>>
24 >>> This seems inelegant. So I'm hoping someone
25 >>> has a better approach.
26 >
27 > The really inelegant solution would be not to have the blocker.
28 > Most people would just update without looking even at the
29 > emerge -puDvN world output, and them complain on a huge and
30 > useless thread on the forums, because something broke :P
31 >
32 > If you have the blocker, you can't screw up the thing. Blockers
33 > are the only solution for incompatible packages, and the new xorg
34 > version is incompatible with all the nvidia-drivers version. In
35 > fact, no future version of xorg will fix this, since it is completely
36 > nvidia-side. So, I would change your snipped above by this one:
37 >
38 >> =x11-base/xorg-server-1.4-r1
39 >> =x11-base/xorg-server-1.4
40 >> =x11-base/xorg-x11-7.3
41 >
42 > Note, the '>=' in front of the packages, those are not quotations
43 > starting with '>', but '>=', because any new version will have the
44 > same problem (since as I said, the problem is in the drivers, that
45 > are just outdated).
46 >
47 > If you have to incompatible packages, you need to decide what
48 > your priority is, period. There is no way around that, until
49 > nvidia decides to release a new version that is compatible with
50 > the new abi.
53 >> remove the blocker? the current nvidia-drivers work fine, if you
54 >> add -ignoreAbi to your X-start script (like kdm conf).
55 >
56 > So the nvidia people say. Though I can confirm that in my installation
57 > it doesn't work. It just lockups (and yes, I am sure that X composite
58 > was off, because I always have it off).
59 >
60 The lockup is probably caused by having the hal use flag set when you
61 compile xorg-server. If you disable it you should be able to run the X
62 server without conflicting with hal/dbus which was the problem.
63 --
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list