From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 19:17:24
1 gevisz wrote:
2 > I never used tmpfs for portage TMPDIR before and now decided to give it a try.
3 >
4 > I have 8GB of RAM and 12GB of swap on a separate partition.
5 >
6 > Do I correctly understood https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs
7 > that I can safely set in the fstab the size of my tmpfs to 12GB so
8 > that the chromium
9 > could be emerged in tmpfs (using the swap) without the need to set notmpfs.conf
10 > for chromium and the likes.
11 >
12 > And I am going to set the whole /var/tmp/ on tpmfs instead of just
13 > /var/tmp/portage
14 > Is it ok?
19 I have 16GBs of memory here and have /var/tmp/portage/ on tmpfs, no
20 ccache.  With the growing size of packages, I've had to put several on
21 regular spinning rust to make sure enough space is available.  This is
22 my list, so far.
23
24 www-client/firefox
25 www-client/seamonkey
26 app-office/libreoffice
27 sys-devel/gcc
28 dev-qt/qtwebengine
29 dev-qt/qtwebkit
30
31 Those are the ones that tend to run into space problems.  Keep in mind,
32 I have twice the memory you have.  As someone else pointed out, if you
33 start using swap, that generally defeats the purpose of tmpfs.
34
35 While I'm sure plenty of packages will make good use of portage being on
36 tmpfs, there will be quite a few that will have space problems.  You
37 will need to be ready to make exceptions for those as they show up but
38 those in my list are certainly ones that you may want to add before
39 trying.  There could be exceptions to this based on your habits and
40 memory requirements for other things but that is my experience so far.
41
42 Hope that helps.
43
44 Dale