From: Matt Garman <garman@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bad jack(?) performance
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 05:07:39
1 On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 06:48:48PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > ...alsaplayer requires that you say you want to use realtime
3 > capabilities:
4 > alsaplayer -r -o jack
5 > ...
6 > Yeah, just the -r most likely. Also, depending on your sound card
7 > 128/2 might be a bit tight, but let's try for it and see what happens.
8
9 Unfortunately, adding the -r had no effect as far as I can tell.
10
11 According to the alsaplayer manpage,
12
13 -r, --realtime
14 Enable realtime scheduling. To use this as a normal
15 user, alsaplayer must be SUID root.
16
17 So I tried setting alsaplayer SUID root:
18
19 # chmod u+s `which alsaplayer`
20
21 Then as a regular (non-root) user:
22
23 # alsaplayer -r -o jack &
24 Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid or setgid.
25 This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper
26 program instead. For further details, see:
27
28 http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html
29
30 Refusing to initialize GTK+.
31 [2] + exit 1 alsaplayer -r -o jack
32
33 I'm guessing that most folks don't have to worry about the whole
34 SUID root thing (or creating a "help program")?
35
36 Any more thoughts?
37
38 Thank you for all your help!