From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Going to Ubuntu - was 1.) Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interupt handler
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:13:04
1 On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 22:09 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Joseph wrote:
3 > > [snip]
4 > >
5 > >>The latest news.
6 > >>After taking the cover off; the temp. of the CPU went down by 3C to 37C
7 > >>and Motherboard down by 3C as well to 26C. but that still didn't prevent
8 > >>the the kernel panic message:
9 > >>Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interupt handler.
10 > >>
11 > >>So my next solution is to get another Drive but an IDE type and put the
12 > >>SATA one on the shelf, and reinstall Gentoo.
15 > > Another theory I have is that it could be related to IRQ timing /
16 > > sharing of the Serial SATA with PCI slot 3 on the A8V motherboard.
17 > > They are sharing the same IRQ base on the information from the Manual,
18 > > though the manual is not saying which IRQ is it.
19 > > How can I find out?
20 > > Maybe I can disable or select option RESERVER for that IRQ from Bios.
23 > It looks like you can do "lspci -vv" to get the IRQ. At least an IRQ problem would be consistent with the "killing interrupt handler" message you got. BTW, you get a full oops message out of this? That might be useful for debugging.
24 >
25 > Zac
26
27 Finally I was able to emerge KDE, it really took a lot of time.
28 Though, looking at the motherboard's ASUS A8V IRQ setting:
29 They put a lot of devices on IRQ5:
30
31 skge - network controller
32 libata - I think this is sata ATA controller
33 ethci_Hcd:usb2, usb2
34 VIA8237 - sound ship
35
36 No wonder I'm having problem (and some others) with Sata Drive, if it is
37 sharing an IRQ with so many devices. In comparison IDE controller have
38 all their own IRQ's Primary IRQ 14 and Secondary IRQ 15
41 #Joseph
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list