From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Local mail server
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 19:47:51
1 On 01/08/2020 19:48, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 7/31/20 2:05 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> Nit: DHCPv6 can be (and usually is) dynamic, but it doesn't have to
4 >> be. It's entirely possible to have a static IP address that your OS
5 >> (or firewall/router) acquires via DHCPv6 (or v4).  [I set up stuff
6 >> like that all the time.]
7 >
8 > Counter Nit:  That's still acquiring an address via /Dynamic/ Host
9 > Configuration Protocol (v6).  It /is/ a /dynamic/ process.
10 >
11 > Static IP address has some very specific meaning when it comes to
12 > configuring TCP/IP stacks.  Specifically that you enter the address to
13 > be used, and it doesn't change until someone changes it in the
14 > configuration.
15 >
16 > Either an IP address is statically entered -or- it's dynamic.
17 >
18 > The fact that it's returning the same, possibly predictable, address is
19 > independent of the fact that it's a /dynamic/ process.
20 >
21 Counter counter nit: You may be *acquiring* it dynamically, but you can
22 enter the address to be used into DHCP, and then it doesn't change until
23 someone changes it in the configuration.
24
25 That was my IPv4 in the Demon days - DHCP was *guaranteed* to *always*
26 return the same address. So either I retrieved it via DHCP from Demon,
27 or I hard coded it into my computer, it didn't matter.
28
29 Cheers,
30 Wol