From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] scrapping hal
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 03:50:45
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 101027 Harry Putnam wrote:
3 >
4 >> I wondered if there is some kind of guide to scrap hal.
5 >>
6 > > From my notes, having done it on 2 desktops machines + 1 netbook :
7 >
8 > To remove Hal : drop '-hal' flag, add 'udev' flag ;
9 > update to Xorg-server>= 1.8.0 -drivers>= 1.8
10 > Xinit>= 1.2.1 + drivers ;
11 > re-merge Exo Thunar ;
12 > delete refs to 'mouse' 'keyboard' in xorg.conf ;
13 > remove 'hald' fr /etc/runlevels/default/ .
14 >
15 > IIRC Hal is needed to the KDE desktop, but not for most KDE apps;
16 > I use Fluxbox + quite a few KDE apps; Exo Thunar belong to Xfce.
20 I think KDE is moving away from hal to tho. I read somewhere the switch
21 is coming. I think it is switching to policykit at some point. I
22 notice it is already in the USE flags for kdelibs here, disabled here at
23 the moment tho. That would be if it doesn't change again.
24
25 Dale
26