From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:32:35
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 3/27/2012 6:36 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I've been looking for simple method to create a simple
7 >> initramfs to just mount the /usr partition.
8 >>
9 >> I've found
10 >> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Basic_initramfs_used_to_check_and_mount_/usr
13 > If this is all you need, I recommend you use dracut. The default
14 > installation (no use-flags or optional modules) will product an initramfs
15 > that loads whatever you current rootfs and /usr partitions are.
16 >
17 > I've been working on updating the wiki with more detailed instructions; for
18 > your case what's there now ought to be plenty:
19 >
20 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dracut
21
22 Dracut is masked on ~amd64. Bugs me, as I'd rather use something like
23 that than genkernel (I very much like building my own kernels; it
24 helps me keep things lean, and keeps me familiar with the capabilities
25 of current and future systems). But now I have to find time to learn
26 how to use Genkernel.
27
28 If we're going to be shoved into tight space like this, I'd be nice if
29 the "you can just use $x" tools work on stable. I've got three
30 previously-working systems at home I can't risk rebooting right now
31 because of this udev+/usr nonsense. I almost invariably put /usr and
32 /home on top of LVM, RAID or both.
35 :wq