From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Help with eix-test-obsolete
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 14:08:52
1 What I'm trying to accomplish:
2
3 For some packages, when a new version is available, to be able to merge
4 them without adding them to /etc/portage/package.keyword, and when/if
5 the installed version is marked as stable I wish eix-test-obsolete won't
6 tell me that this particular package is redundant.
7
8 How my system is configured:
9
10 I have those packages listed in /etc/portage/package.keyword without the
11 version number, and the same packages name also in
12 /etc/portage/package.keywords.nowarn
13
14 Lately it seems that eix disregards the content of
15 /etc/portage/package.keywords.nowarn, or maybe I messed up with a
16 configuration file :)
17
18 for example:
19
20 grep amsn /etc/portage/*
21 /etc/portage/package.keywords:net-im/amsn ~amd64
22 /etc/portage/package.keywords.nowarn:net-im/amsn in_keywords no_change
23
24 The only flags in eixrc (following the guide in [1]) are related to
25 mask/unmask policies, so they shouldn't interfere with my goal:
26
27 cat /etc/eixrc | grep -Ev '^\#|^$'
28 TEST_FOR_NONEXISTENT=true
29 NONEXISTENT_IF_OTHER_OVERLAY=true
30 REDUNDANT_IF_UNMASK_NO_CHANGE=false
31 REDUNDANT_IF_IN_MASK=false
32
33 Anyway "eix-test-obsolete -bd" lists amsn among the programs redundant
34 in /etc/portage/package.keywords because the latest version is stable
35 (or maybe because there are keyworded unstable versions?).
36
37 eix --version
38 eix 0.22.6 (gcc-4.4.4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
39
40 The complete output:
41 eix-test-obsolete -bd
42
43 No non-matching entries in /etc/portage/package.keywords.
44 No non-matching entries in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords.
45 No non-matching entries in /etc/portage/package.mask.
46 No non-matching entries in /etc/portage/package.unmask.
47 No non-matching or empty entries in /etc/portage/package.use.
48 No non-matching or empty entries in /etc/portage/package.env.
49 No non-matching or empty entries in /etc/portage/package.cflags.
50 The names of all installed packages are in the database.
51
52 Redundant in /etc/portage/package.{,accept_}keywords:
53
54 ... considered as REDUNDANT_IF_WEAKER
55 [I] sys-apps/portage (2.2.0_alpha11@01/01/2011): Portage is the package
56 management and distribution system for Gentoo
57
58 ... considered as REDUNDANT_IF_NO_CHANGE
59 [I] app-emulation/dosemu (1.4.1_pre20091009@01/05/2010): DOS Emulator
60 [I] app-emulation/virtualbox-bin (3.2.12-r1@31/12/2010): Family of
61 powerful x86 virtualization products for enterprise as well as home use
62 [I] app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions (3.2.12@03/01/2011):
63 VirtualBox kernel modules and user-space tools for Linux guests
64 [I] app-emulation/virtualbox-modules (3.2.12@03/01/2011): Kernel Modules
65 for Virtualbox
66 [I] media-video/ffmpeg (0.6_p25767@26/11/2010): Complete solution to
67 record, convert and stream audio and video. Includes libavcodec.
68 [I] media-video/nvidia-settings (260.19.29@20/12/2010): NVIDIA Linux X11
69 Settings Utility
70 [I] net-im/amsn (0.98.3@28/11/2010): Alvaro's Messenger client for MSN
71 [I] net-wireless/madwifi-ng (0.9.4.4133.20100621@03/01/2011): Next
72 Generation driver for Atheros based IEEE 802.11a/b/g wireless LAN cards
73 [I] net-wireless/madwifi-ng-tools (0.9.4.4133.20100621@12/08/2010): Next
74 Generation tools for configuration of Atheros based IEEE 802.11a/b/g
75 wireless LAN cards
76 [I] sys-apps/dbus (1.4.1@03/01/2011): A message bus system, a simple way
77 for applications to talk to each other
78 [I] www-client/firefox (3.6.13@10/12/2010): Firefox Web Browser
79 [I] x11-drivers/xf86-input-virtualbox (3.2.12@04/12/2010): VirtualBox
80 input driver
81 [I] x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox (3.2.12@03/01/2011): VirtualBox
82 video driver
83 Found 13 matches.
84
85 No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.{,accept_}keywords
86 No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.mask
87 No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.mask
88 No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.unmask
89 No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.unmask
90 No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.use
91 No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.use
92 No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.env
93 No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.env
94 No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.cflags
95 No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.cflags
96 All installed versions of packages are in the database.
97
98 [1] http://linuxreviews.org/man/eix/
99
100 Thanks in advance
101 Francesco
104 Linux Version 2.6.36-gentoo-r6, Compiled #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 3
105 11:54:58 CET 2011
106 Two 1GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processors, 4GB RAM, 4021.84 Bogomips Total
107 aemaeth