From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Why are gentoo people so in love with colorized output?!?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 14:35:02
1 On 2007-04-04, felix@×××××××.com <felix@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Why do --nocolor and --color=n not work (sys-apps/portage-2.1.2.3)?
3 >
4 > Why does the damned thing default to thinking I want blaring bizarre
5 > colors scattered all over my screen?
6
7 Yea, nothing is quite as readible as yellow or bright green on
8 a white background. I hate color output. I'm completely
9 baffled that anybody thinks it should be the default.
10
11 > I CAN'T EVEN DISABLE IT BY SETTING TERM TO vt100.
12 >
13 > And if ALL THESE CAPS distress you and you think I am shouting, well
14 > goodness gracious, NOW YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT COLORIZATION RUN AMUCK.
15
16 Worse than emerge is that ls and other more commonly used
17 utilities all default to utterly-illegible mode on Gentoo.
20 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Eisenhower!! Your
21 at mimeograph machine upsets
22 visi.com my stomach!!
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list