From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips for fresh install with GRUB2+RAID1+LVM2
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 12:13:43
1 On Thu, 21 May 2015 07:34:58 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > > Also, you need to copy 40_custom and then add your lines to that.
4 > > This is because files in /etc/grub.d are executed, so it needs to be
5 > > a shell script.
6
7 > If you're just going to hand-edit your config file, I don't see much
8 > point in sticking this stuff in /etc/grub.d. Just hand-edit your
9 > config file and forget about grub2-mkconfig.
10
11 You sill need to edit something each time you update your kernel, unless
12 you can use symlinks, and running grub2-mkconfig may give you useful
13 fallback entries from 10_linux.
14
15 > 40_custom is more about adding one more entry to an auto-generated
16 > menu, such as having an entry for booting another OS, or a rescue CD
17 > image, or whatever.
18
19 40_custom is also just and example. You can have any script you want in
20 there. I wrote a script that auto-generates the entries *I* want and
21 removed the executable bit from 10_linux. Now I get multiple entries for
22 all my installed kernels with the correct boot options.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?