From: Dmitry Makovey <mldimon@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo + KDE + pulseaudio + ? == happiness
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 06:07:17
1 On 10/19/2010 09:48 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 >> Hi, do you know about this page?
3 >> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAudio I tried Pulseaudio in my
4 >> Gentoo once by using that guide.
5 > thanks. I'm pretty sure I've followed that page before, but hey - it was
6 > a long time ago. I adjusted my setup according to what it says *now* -
7 > we'll see what comes out of it. I followed links a bit deeper and also
8 > checked my setup against
9 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-789181-highlight-pulseaudio.html
10 > adjusting a thing or two (like using hal module vs udev, however
11 > something tells me I'll be switching back pretty soon...).
12 >
13 > I'll try it out for a while and post back the results.
14
15 well my attempts are unsuccessful so far. Applying "every trick in a
16 book" from the above links I've got nowhere. I can reliably reproduce
17 the problem: start amarok, try to start playing movie with, say mplayer,
18 skip through couple of frames - and voila! sound is gone. I've tried
19 both Xine and GStreamer backends so far with the same outcome.
20
21 So what I've done on top of my setup is: installed alsa-plugins, changed
22 pulseaudio configs as per above forum post (checking along the way that
23 my setup matches).
24
25 Interesting "touch" on this entire ordeal I see "Internal Audio Analog
26 stereo" after
27 startup, but if I kill pulseaudio process with:
28
29 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --kill
30
31 my Multimedia settings will display "PulseAudio server". Problems remain
32 the same though. It could be the Mplayer's fault - I switched it over
33 from "ao=alsa" to "ao=pulse" and same happens.
34
35 Right now I've got to the point where one app may lock the device while
36 other seems to be sending output to /dev/null and keeps sending it after
37 app that locked device quits (looks like this is the result of using
38 GStreamer over Xine backend).