From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ASUS EeePC 1000HA : boot query
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:21:46
1 On Sunday 25 October 2009 00:30:48 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I've got my new toy to boot from USB with SystemRescue 1.3.1 ,
3 > which comes up beautifully with Gentoo using 'Altker32'
4 > (the 'default' kernel boots into some kind of emergency mode);
5 > despite what the intro help says, the desktop manager is Xfce,
6 > which is started via 'wizard' & offers basic useful apps,
7 > eg Terminal Emelfm Firefox Geany Gparted .
8
9 I let it boot the default system, which seems fine to me as I don't need a GUI
10 when I'm booting the rescue system.
11
12 > There's 1 problem : you hold F2 down to get BIOS,
13 > then use Esc for a boot menu (you have to go in/out of BIOS first).
14 > However, this doesn't work when I first switch the machine on :
15 > M$ XP starts regardless & I have to reboot from there to get BIOS,
16 > the boot menu & the USB (I've disabled 'quiet boot' in BIOS,
17 > but POST msgs still don't appear). Is this because it takes a few seconds
18 > before the USB stick warms up & gets recognised (its light blinks) ?
19
20 There's an accelerated-boot option in the BIOS. You have to switch that off to
21 be able to boot a USB stick (unless you can find the few milliseconds that
22 the BIOS is listening to the keyboard). Took me days to find that one :-(
25 Rgds
26 Peter