From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.9.5 VERY slow to respond
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:54:14
1 Howdy,
2
3 I upgraded to the latest KDE a bit ago. I update about twice a week,
4 depending on what is going on and what is released. Anyway, KDE has
5 become just dead dog slow. Just to login takes a couple minutes. If I
6 click to open a KDE app, it takes a long time. If I click on the
7 kicker/panel thingy at the bottom, it takes forever, even clicking on
8 the K menu takes a minute or more for the menu to pop up. Also, when it
9 freezes, the clock stops as well. It seems something is hung up or
10 something. I also noticed that klipper is missing as is kmix for the
11 volume control in the kicker/panel thingy at the bottom. If I try to
12 manually start them, I get nothing even if I wait for a good long
13 while. Also, while in a Konsole, within KDE so note the K there, if I
14 try to copy/paste something, it locks up Konsole tight as a drum. It
15 has yet to ever come back. I can't even switch tabs. Also, while I
16 generally click on the panel at the bottom to switch desktops, this
17 doesn't work when it is froze or stuck. I can however use the function
18 keys to switch.
19
20 When I login, the hard drive activity light on the case is very quiet.
21 It is normally on solidly when I login since it is reading data but now
22 it is pretty much dark all the time.
23
24 What I have done so far. Renamed .kde4 and tried a new .kde4
25 directory. No change. I did a emerge -e world with, no change. I have
26 also checked the CPU and memory with htop and it shows nothing outside
27 the norm that I can see. I have also went to the boot runlevel. killed
28 anything that shouldn't be there and then went back to default runlevel.
29
30 This started yesterday. I did my usual update and logged out and back
31 in since checkrestart showed several programs using old configs/programs
32 etc. After that, it got real slow. The biggest update was qt and all
33 its friends. Sort of hard to tell right now since I can't get Konsole
34 to work right and I can't copy and paste either. lol
35
36 I was going to try to downgrade KDE to the previous version, it appears
37 to be gone now. I guess my only other option is to upgrade again with a
38 version from a overlay. This is not something I want to do tho.
39
40 Has anyone else ran into this? Anyone got any ideas on how to track it
41 down? It's going to be a week before another upgrade and this is
42 getting on my nerves. ;-)
43
44 Thanks.
45
46 Dale
47
51 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!