From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deer Park instead of FireFox
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:30:11
1 Sven Köhler schreef:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > i just installed mozilla-firefox-1.5-r9. So when i start it, it says
5 > "hooray, you've got Deer Park Alpha 2 installed! Thank you, for
6 > helping us testing".
7 >
8 > So what is Deer Park? What's the difference to a normal FireFox 1.5?
9 >
10 > Or the main question is: Why does that gentoo-ebuild install Deer
11 > Park, and not just plain FireFox?
14 > Thanks Sven
15 >
16 Deer Park is the codename for Firefox 1.5 while it was in development.
17
18 According to this thread
19
20 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2934098-highlight-.html#2931694
21
22 on the forums, the reason that Firefox you install under Gentoo is not
23 allowed to be called "Firefox" is that only official builds from
24 Mozilla.org may use the --official_branding configuration flag that
25 names the titlebars and whatnot. Builds you (or the dev team) built from
26 source are not official, so therefore may not use this ./configure flag.
27
28 However, you are free to copy the ebuild to your overlay, add the flag
29 to the ebuild, and then recompile it.
30
31 Instructions can be found in the thread.
32
33 As far as I know, the application built is the final, but it appears
34 that the release was released early since rc3 was so stable. Maybe a few
35 typos slipped through. I certainly don't remember seeing such a message
36 when I started Firefox 1.5 for the first time, but maybe that's because
37 it was an upgrade or something.
38
39 HTH,
40 Holly