From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Applying patches without needing overlays and modifying ebuilds
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 08:42:30
1 On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:44:19 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > Does anyone think that a mechanism of applying patches to a package
4 > without the need to modify the ebuild of that package would be a useful
5 > feature? There are cases of useful patches that are not accepted by
6 > the maintainers of the ebuild (because they have not been accepted
7 > upstream or other reasons), forcing users to copy ebuilds in their
8 > overlay and modifying the ebuild there. This turns out to be a hassle
9 > every time the package receives an update.
10
11 I think you can redefine ebuild functions in /etc/portage/env/cat/pkg, so
12 you could out a custom src_unpack() in there. It should work if the ebuild
13 has no src_unoack, so you could do something like
14
15 src_unpack() {
16 unpack ${A}
17 epatch mypatch
18 }
19
20 I don't know how this would work with an existing src_unpack in the
21 ebuild, if you copied the existing function and added your patch.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 i *DId* rEaD tHE DoCS; ThaT'S WHy I'm conFuSeD!