From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QEMU opinions...
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:36:43
1 On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 03:01:58PM -0700, Penguin Lover Tom Smith squawked:
2 > QEMU appears to have functionality similar to VMWare (I haven't tried it
3 > yet). I'm curious to here other Gentoo users' experience with this
4 > software. I will be using in a production environment so stability and
5 > uptime are very important, as are reasonable performance.
6 >
7 > I would very much appreciate any feedback you all can give me about your
8 > experience with QEMU.
9
10 While I can't really vouch for stability and uptime, QEMU is a great
11 piece of software. I run it on my Dell D600 laptop with the kernel
12 accelerator (kqemu) enabled. From it I run Win XP SP2 with no
13 problems, and it is fairly fast (faster, at least, then my old 800Mhz
14 pentium 3 running the same software natively).
15
16 On the other hand, my uses of it are limited to
17 1) Microsoft Office: I have a legit copy, so might as well use it,
18 especially when sometimes people send me Word or Powerpoint files to
19 edit.
20 2) Windows Media Player: wmv9 has some funky drm built in that
21 mplayer can't deal with. Some foreign news websites I frequent uses
22 that horrible codec for streaming media. The sound can get flaky at
23 times, but it doesn't affect anything else.
24
25 You might need to look carefully at the documentation for the network
26 side of things. I only run it with --user-net which puts the VM behind
27 a virtual firewall, which might make some things on the Windows side
28 with regards to network sharing break.
29
30 Also, QEMU being a complete emulator, it can't be used like
31 CrossoverOffice/Wine where you only run the software desired. You have
32 to start the VM, and run Windows from it. Which runs into a bit of
33 licensing issue: technically, if I read Microsoft's stance on this
34 correctly, you would need a separate license for each of your VMs, and
35 at that point, if you have x86 hardware, you might as well run Windows
36 natively. Of course, I might be wrong, but that is something you
37 should worry about.
38
39 I think software-wise QEMU is pretty good. But there might be a few
40 tripping stones on the deployment-side for you to watch out should you
41 go with using it in a corporate environment.
42
43 HTH,
44
45 W
46 --
47 "The problem is some dead white males didn't strict themselves to writing
48 literature."
49 ~DeathMech, Some Student. P-town PHY 205
50 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 59 days, 14:39
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list