From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System maintenance procedure?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:21:58
1 On 12/11/2012 08:36 AM, Bruce Hill wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 04:48:24PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >>
4 >>> workstation ~ # emerge -a @preserved-rebuild
5 >>> emerge: 'preserved-rebuild' is an empty set
6 >>> emerge: no targets left after set expansion
7 >>
8 >> So you have nothing that needs rebuilding. Portage will warn you when the
9 >> set it non-empty, telling you to run emerge @preserved-rebuild. There is
10 >> no need to run it at any other time.
11 >
12 > After using Gentoo for close to two years, the only time/place I've ever even
13 > seen @preserved-rebuild is in this thread. Yet you say, "Portage will warn you
14 > when the set is [it] non-empty, telling you to run emerge @preserved-rebuild."
17 It's probably safe to pretend it doesn't exist now. We have a better
18 solution in EAPI5 -- packages can force their dependents to rebuild
19 after an upgrade.
20
21 It will take a while to transition the whole tree, but if you remember
22 to complain loudly whenever a libfoo upgrade breaks something, it will
23 happen. In the meantime, run revdep-rebuild every once in a while.