From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Preserving the initial partionin/formatting of an usbstick
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 17:54:00
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [16-03-29 19:12]:
2 > On Tuesday 29 Mar 2016 18:33:01 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi Ian,
4 > >
5 > > If I do a
6 > >
7 > > eix partclone
8 > >
9 > > I get
10 > >
11 > > No matches found.
12 > > [1] 7241 exit 1 eix -n partclone
13 > >
14 > > . May be a typo... ;)
15 >
16 > Please try not to top-post, it confuses the flow of the thread.
17 >
18 > Ian's suggestions for using dd are good and I would like to add:
19 >
20 > -Add a block size (e.g. bs=4096) or you'll be waiting for some time for the
21 > command to finish.
22 >
23 > -Pipe the output through gzip or bzip2 to compress what will be mostly empty
24 > bits and bytes.
27 > However, to start with check (using e.g. fdisk -l) if the USB stick has a
28 > partition table on it in the first place. Many USB sticks have no partition
29 > table and the vfat fs is created across the whole device (as if it were one
30 > large partition). Nothing wrong with this as long as you don't try to boot
31 > from it. The BIOS will try to jump to an MBR and the first partition and may
32 > complain when it does not find one there.
33 >
34 > You can use 'minfo' from the mtools package to find out what the geometry of
35 > the USB stick is, before you reformat it.
36 >
37 > BTW, some USB sticks of unknown provence come with malware in them. So
38 > reformatting them before use is a good security measure.
39 > --
40 > Regards,
41 > Mick
42
43 Hi,
44
45 toppost/not toppost: As there were too many discussion about what
46 to do,not to do and why and why not I finally over the years decide
47 to simply copy the way to answer.
48 Ian topposted ... I toppost.
49 Mick does not toppost ... I follow.
50
51 The real thing:
52 The usbstick has a partition table, which was the reason to ask
53 for a way to preserve it.
54
55 'pv' is faster than 'dd'.
56 How to copy the whole device is not my point. Compressing 64GB
57 of zeroes is easy and one will end up with a small thing...
58 comparable with a so called 'tar bomb'.
59 But: In the case of reconstructing the device it will take a (too)
60 long to write 64GB of nearly nothing back to the drive.
61 Reading alone, which is faster than writing, took 1.5h.
62
63 Again my questions:
64 Where are the partioning/format defining on the device?
65 If there are only stored the beginning of the device: How
66 much do I need to copy?
67 If there are tools to extract all needed informations of the
68 partioning/formatting and to recreate exactly that kind of
69 partitioning/formatting later with that or other tools:
70 Which tools do I need and how to use them?
71
72 Thank you very much in advance for any help! :)
73
74 Best regards,
75 Meino