From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox 4.1.2 problem
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 09:59:30
1 On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 19:08:21 -0400
2 David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > G'day,
5 >
6 > I'm having a problem with VirtualBox and am looking for ideas.
7 >
8 > As background, I'm running virtualbox-bin-4.1.2 on a 2.6.39-gentoo-r2
9 > kernel on an AMD Phenom 9850. My vmware install no longer works
10 > because vmware wants the BKL and the 2.6.39 kernel doesn't have it.
11 > Using vmware-converted the WinXP vmware guest has been converted
12 > to .ova format.
13 >
14 > VirtualBox-4.1.2 loads the .ova OK. After clicking "start" the guest
15 > starts up, shows the splash screen, then aborts with a blue screen
16 > saying:
17 >
18 > A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to
19 > prevent damage to your computer.
20 >
21 > If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
22 > restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these
23 > steps:
24 >
25 > Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is
26 > identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with
27 > the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
28 >
29 > Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS
30 > memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use
31 > Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer,
32 > press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe
33 > Mode.
34 >
35 > Technical information:
36 >
37 > *** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x8053A8E3,0xF779E610,0x00000000)
38 >
39 > Using virtualbox-4.1.2 on my wife's Win 7 laptop, the same .ova file
40 > works fine.
41 >
42 > Any thoughts on what needs changing in my gentoo environment to
43 > successfully run the guest?
44 >
45 > Thank you.
46 >
47 > David
48 >
49 > P.S. The most recent log file is attached.
53 Did you import the .ova file first?
56 Alan McKinnnon
57 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com