From: Chris Cox <yeahsowhat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to shred without deleting /dev/*
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:28:47
1 On Monday 29 August 2005 07:01 am, Michael Kintzios wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I was blanking a floppy but when I ran:
5 > ====================
6 > $ shred -u -v /dev/fd0
7 > ====================
8 > /dev/fd0 was dully deleted after the shred operation finished. Rebooting
9 > the machine relaunched udev which recreated fd0 (is there another way to
10 > avoid having to reboot)?
13 Very seldom is a reboot requried in Linux. You can always run /sbin/udevstart
14 as root which will recreate the device nodes.
15
16 > On the second floppy I thought of avoiding unwittingly deleting the fd0
17 > node so I tried: ====================
18 > $ shred -u -v /dev/fd0/
19 > shred: /dev/fd0/: Not a directory
20 > ====================
21 > Or:
22 > ====================
23 > $ shred -u -v /dev/fd0/
24 > shred: /dev/fd0/*: Not a directory
25 > ====================
26 >
27 > Is there a way of shredding a complete floppy (not just a file at a time)
28 > without removing the /dev/fd0 node?
29
30 As for your original question about shred I can't really help since I don't
31 use it. And have no need for floppies anymore either. Try man shred and see
32 what the man pages say.
35 Chris
36 Linux 2.6.12-gentoo-r9 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP
37 23:19:33 up 4:38, 5 users, load average: 1.76, 1.50, 1.46
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list