From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Router 3rd and 4th net interface problem
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 01:08:00
1 > > I'm afraid I can't keep up with you guys here. What I'd like to do is
2 > > use eth1 and ath0 on my router to "serve" the same local network. Can
3 > > I bridge them according to net.example to accomplish this? I
4 > > understand that I will either need to use a crossover cable with eth1
5 > > or attach a switch to eth1.
6 > >
7 > > - Grant
8 >
9 > Hi,
10 >
11 > Shorewall (net-firewall/shorewall) can help you do this very easily,
12 > simply by adding both eth1 and eth0 to the local zone and enabling IP
13 > forwarding.
14 >
15 > Check out http://shorewall.net/two-interface.htm, under the section
16 > "Adding a Wireless Segment to your Two-Interface Firewall". I use this
17 > method myself for exactly that purpose - eth0 on the internet, eth1
18 > wired, and ath0 wireless. It's easy to substitute eth2 (or whatever
19 > interface(s) you're using) for ath0 in that scenario.
20
21 This sounds like the right thing to do if it's as simple as that. I
22 think I do want the wired and wireless interfaces on the same network
23 for now. Setting up a DMZ for a web server does sound like an
24 interesting project though....
25
26 - Grant
27 --