From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasma pager layout indicator
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:19:32
1 On 18/07/2014 11:48, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 17/07/2014 23:31, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>>> On 17/07/2014 21:42, Dale wrote:
6 >>>>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
7 >>>>>> On 16/07/2014 18:45, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
8 >>>>>>> easiest way to test: new user. Copy over config files until problem occurs.
9 >>>>>> <doh>
10 >>>>>> Yes of course, that's the best way. Didn't think of that
11 >>>>>>
12 >>>>>>
13 >>>>> I just did my KDE upgrade so I renamed the .kde4 directory. I logged
14 >>>>> in, set up enough that I could test things and then logged out. When I
15 >>>>> logged back in, it worked like it should. Let's see how long that lasts.
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>> Alan, make sure you change the permissions on those file. I have a test
18 >>>>> account that I rarely use as well. In the past, I had to change the
19 >>>>> owner from dale to dale2 which is my account names. Usually the group
20 >>>>> is the same so the owner is all that needs changing.
21 >>>> Why change the permissions? They must be rw for the user using them
22 >>>> which means chmod 6xx, the group being entirely irrelevant as it will
23 >>>> never be referenced. If the new user is doing the copy then they will be
24 >>>> owned by that new user anyway. "cp -a" will just always do the right
25 >>>> thing in this case :-)
26 >>>>
27 >>>>
28 >>> Well, I usually copy as root which leaves the permissions the same.
29 >>> Since you do it as user then you are right.
30 >>
31 >> DO NOT DO THAT COPY AS ROOT. That's just needlessly
32 >> asking for trouble.
33 >>
34 >> Do it as the destination user, as long as it can read the source user's
35 >> home dir it all works out fine. Group membership is usually sufficient
36 >> and the only case where it's an issue is if home dirs are set to
37 >> rwx------ or encrypted
41 > I always have a Konsole open as root. I never have one open as a user.
42 > I been doing it that way ever since shortly after I started using
43 > Linux. I got tired of having to switch from one user to another every
44 > time I wanted to do something. If I am root, I can copy from wherever I
45 > want to wherever I want. Once it is done, I can fix permissions if
46 > needed. It also means I can run whatever command without having to see
47 > who I am logged in as first as well.
50 So why do you have a user dale at all?
54 Alan McKinnon
55 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com