From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wvdial: dialup for users
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:27:05
1 I haven't tried setuid for the wvdial binary. I have joined the users to
2 the groups "dialout" and "uucp". I have also changed the owner of various
3 binaries to include users, including "wvdial". I followed someone's advice
4 on the Inet and set pppd setuid for the group "ppp" which I also joined all
5 users to.
6
7 I don't want my wife to have to "sudo yada yada." I want to grant her
8 permissions. I have used pppconfig for years. It won't find /dev/ttyS14,
9 while wvdial did, uniquely among all dialup clients I have tried. kppp
10 didn't. I had to make the tty's with MAKEDEV. Maybe I can use pppconfig
11 now that I have found out the dev file. Wvdial works well.
12
13 I would ideally like my wife to be able to click on a modem icon / applet to
14 dial in and to quit. I understand why in a server environment, one would be
15 paranoid. I WANT to grant this permission to users at my discretion.
16
17 Thank you for the ideas, everyone. I will follow them up.
18
19 Alan Davis
20