From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32bit or 64bit
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:34:12
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz> wrote:
3 >>>> Video-codecs? I haven't seen a video in years that was not playable by 64bit
4 >>>> ffmpeg based players but worked with 32bit.
5 >>> <SNIP>
6 >>>
7 >>> Lots of wmv files won't play in 64-bit. That's the only one I have
8 >>> trouble with. They play fine in 32-bit Gentoo.
9 >>>
10 >> Mark, was thinking of you and your videos that don't play on 64bit when
11 >> I read Volkers statement :)
12 >> ffmpeg know lots of shit, but not all if it.
15 > Yeah, that's the truth. I suspect this specific case just lacks a
16 > smart developer who wants to figure it all out and do the work to make
17 > an Open Source codec that plays the file type, but maybe there's
18 > patents and other junk that gets in the way.
19
20 It's possible they just don't have a sample to work with. If you can
21 send it to them, they can at least add it to their samples archives.
25 > And really, as I use a lot of VM's all day long, it doesn't seem
26 > overly important any more. It's trivial to just run a Windows VM to
27 > play wmv files whereas finding someone in the Linux world who actually
28 > cares about supporting and promoting the wmv format seems like a waste
29 > of my time and theirs. They can work on better things.
30
31 There are containers and codecs. Most containers are supported,
32 leaving the codecs.
33
34 Can you post the output of 'mplayer -identify $filename' on that file?
37 :wq