From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: but cool - NASDAQ is gentoo powered
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:50:06
1 On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 22:48, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 > This is related to a question I wanted to poll the list with. How does
7 > everybody here use Gentoo? For personal use? Production use? For
8 > server, desktop or embedded roles? What's your most interesting setup
9 > or use case?
12 I have 1 server running Gentoo for about 4 years, 2 workstations and 2 more
13 machines performing different tasks.
14 All this machines at work. At home I haven't changed to Linux yet... Don't
15 think I'll ever will, too many variables (like the fiance, for instance).
16
17 The most intersting case was an old Pentium 100 MHz, 48MB of RAM that was
18 running Gentoo for about 2 years at work before retiring, serving HTTP, FTP,
19 MySQL, PHP and a long uptime. Took me a while to install (lets say a month)
20 cause of the long compile times and some tech difficulties (like for
21 instance booting an LiveCD from such an old machine). It was fun.
22
23 I also had Gentoo for an year in my old netbook (Asus EEE 900).
26 Daniel da Veiga