From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Migration
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 16:04:17
1 On Tuesday 05 June 2007, Randy Barlow wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > No need to reinstall, you just need to shuffle some stuff around.
4 > > But first, what is your setup?
5 > >
6 > > Post the results of 'df -h', {pv,vg,lv}display and fdisk -l so I
7 > > can see how big etc your partitions and volumes are. Also fstab
8 >
9 > I've thought about that too, but I was wondering what would truly be
10 > easier. The dump/restore option sounds good, except that I don't
11 > have another machine with a large enough harddrive to do the job (and
12 > am a poor grad student with no cash for another HD :( ) I do,
13 > however, have another machine running a full backup of this machine
14 > using backuppc with nice compression/pooling, and so that was why my
15 > original plan was just to reinstall and then try to re-emerge
16 > everything.
17
18 Well, with a *full* backup on another machine, there's really no need to
19 remerge everything. That will take around 48 hours, and a full copy
20 back will take no more than say 3 hours. Boot off a LiveCD, delete and
21 redo as you need to, and copy the backup back. All the files go back in
22 their proper dirs, but on the volumes you have now newly created
23
24 alan
28 Optimists say the glass is half full,
29 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
30 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
31
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
34 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list