From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't boot with kernel 3.5.7: init not being started
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 13:30:34
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 05:56:02AM -0600, Dale wrote:
4 > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > It would seem that configuring and building a kernel is an activity
6 > > for experienced users, not beginners. ;-(
7
8 > Not really. It just takes practice. If you never build one, you will
9 > never get the practice. ;-)
10
11 ;-) I've built quite a few in my time as a Gentoo user, and one or two
12 when I was still using Debian.
13
14 Configuring a kernel is more difficult than the available documentation
15 might lead one to believe.
16
17 There are many hundreds of options to be considered, a large part of
18 which are "irrelevant" (i.e. the kernel will work regardless of these
19 options). Distinguishing the critical options from the irrelevant ones
20 is difficult. Precisely such an error is what I made.
21
22 Some options are relatively easy to set, for example, those under
23 "drivers", where you select drivers for all the hardware you've got. But
24 what about sections like "general setup"? Do I really need CONFIG_AUDIT?
25 On reading the help, I shouldn't, but some program (can't remember which)
26 complains if it's not there. What about "Checkpoint/restore support"?
27 About what? Reading the help for each of these mysterious options is
28 _hard work_.
29
30 Normally, I can get through 'make menuconfig' in about an hour and a
31 half, with the help of a checklist I wrote in June 2011. I can't
32 remember how I managed when I was first installing Gentoo.
35 > Dale
36
40 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).