From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: mindrunner <kernel@×××××.de>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive change
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 15:16:24
1 Am Freitag, 9. November 2012, 01:38:41 schrieb mindrunner:
2 > volker, what is your intention to say i am dumb and stupid. actually you
3 > do not know me.
4
5 everybody does something dumb and/or stupid once in a while. I average that
6 one to 1/day.
7
8 There are two ways to react if someone points out that something you do is not
9 the best idea since sliced bread.
10
11 -> oops. Yeah, I see it.
12 or
13 -> sulking.
16 > copying on block device level has of cource advantages. and really... i
17 > dont care about 0.4% fragemntation and some journal log.
20 no, it does not. Apart from fragmentation you also copy all deleted files. All
21 damaged blocks AND the UUID.
22
23 Oh, and it is slow (I know, fiddling with blocksize etc you can speed it up a
24 lot. Still slow).
25
26 > I never made bad experiences with this copy technique.
27
28 which doesn't mean it is a good one.
29
30 > all my hard drives, ssd and virtual containers are working fine without
31 > any performance issues.
32
33 How do you know?
34
35 > so what exactly is your problem?
36
37 you are telling someone to do something really stupid.
38
39 Create an image with dd to do some file rescuing? forensic stuff? as a template
40 for containers? To burn it on a dvd/cd? Well, those are valid uses for dd.
41 Converting files? Yes, that is what dd was made for.
42
43 Copying a partition to another disk, different disk? Wow.. that is just wrong.
44 Even if both disks were identical it would not be great idea. Just a 'well, it
45 does work and at least I am not punishing the new disk' way to do it.
46
47 Mind you, cp -auv is not the best way either. With ACLs&co it is not such a
48 good choice. And I am surprised that Joerg Schilling hasn't posted how
49 incredible star is for this job yet. Btw, star is a really good tool for the
50 job. It just needs a lot of typing.
51
52 tar, rsync, cp, star... there are many good or good enough ways to copy files
53 from one harddisk to another
54
55 dd doesn't belong in that category.
56