From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: beegfs goes opensource!
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:04:33
1 Tanstaafl <tanstaafl <at> libertytrek.org> writes:
4 > Ummmm... nothing about what license it is released under, and they want
5 > personal info from you to download the source...
6
7 > I'm not sure this is anything to jump up and down about yet...
8
9 agreed. bummer. Sometimes it takes time for the folks that put up the money
10 for initial development, to decide to do the right thing on licensing. With
11 file system choices so abundant, opensource gets you a community involved
12 with patches and bug fillings, so there is hope? [A] Maybe one of our
13 (council) leaders should drop Sven Breuner an email and ask it their is an
14 appropriately acceptable license for the gentoo community to use this
15 cluster file system routinely on gentoo.....
18 > Is this going to be another ZFS problem, where it is open source, but
19 > linux can't make the best use of it?
22 Excellent point about the license. Did the license stop zfs folks
23 from enjoying zfs? I know the zfs license stops some commercial folks
24 from deploy/using zfs. And zfs is not a routine choice in the installation
25 docs for gentoo.....
28 What I do know is about 75% of the folks that run clusters for Hi
29 Performance Computing, that I have exchanged pleasantries with, all extol
30 the virtues of beegfs. Most already pay to use it, but I do not know of
31 their financial models going forward. Hopefully, they'll be like postgresql
32 and sell/develop for the commercial folks and let the po(linux) folk
33 ride for free. My biggest bottleneck in bringing apache-mesos to gentoo
34 is the choice of node(File System)//distributed(File System) that leads to
35 the right mix of features and speed. Surely ext4/beegfs or btrfs/beegfs
36 is attractive no matter what container or HPC codes you run on top of your
37 gentoo cluster(s).
40 Furthermore, Cephfs is being used to replace NFS functions in some
41 locations, so there is now a growing pressure of competition among
42 opensource solutions for distributed(cluster) file systems.
46 James
47
48 [A] http://www.beegfs.com/content/about-us/