From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>, Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 10:53:06
1 Alec, Neil,
2
3 On Tuesday, 2021-08-03 13:44:29 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4
5 > On Tue, 03 Aug 2021 07:45:27 -0400, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
6 >
7 > > > $ emerge --ask --depclean | less
8 > > > ...
9 > > Depending what desktop environment/terminal emulator, there are a few
10 > > options. You could use a terminal like gnome-terminal, konsole, etc.
11 > > which have scroll so you can run `emerge -ca' and scroll to view the
12 > > results. I run urxvt in i3 (not sure whether it scrolls or not), and I
13 > > always run emerge inside of a tmux and use tmux's scroll to view all
14 > > the output before making a decision, so you could also use tmux or
15 > > screen.
16
17 I also use "urxvt" with a scrollbar and a buffer size of 3000 lines.
18 But neither is this guaranteed to be enough, nor does it help when work-
19 ing directly from a console (except perhaps when your kernel has Alan's
20 scrolling patch applied).
23 > Or you could use a different pager, most does not exhibit this behaviour.
24 > There is probably a less setting to change this too.
25
26 Well, I tested this using "most" from within a "urxvt" terminal, and at
27 least with default options it did not work for me. No output was dis-
28 played at all and even "^C" did not work. I had to explicitly kill the
29 "emerge" process from another terminal window, and only then received
30 the output from "most". :-(
31
32 I also tried good ol' "more" and "pg", but even though they both accept-
33 ed "^C" they somehow interfered with the question "emerge" should final-
34 ly be asking. I did not yet test all these pagers directly from a cons-
35 ole, because I'd prefer a universal solution for this problem. And come
36 to think of it, I'd prefer a solution with "more" or "pg" because where-
37 as "less" and "most" each are provided by packages of their own, the
38 former two are both provided by package "sys-apps/util-linux" which is
39 even installed on my live USB stick, if I remember correctly.
40
41 Sincerely,
42 Rainer