From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't create valid btrfs on NVMe
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 12:57:24
1 On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 11:26:13 PM Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > I'm putting together a new desktop using a Samsung SM951 NVMe drive. I
3 > booted sysrescd, partitioned the drive and ran
4 >
5 > mkfs.btrfs /dev/nvme0n1p3
6 > mount /dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt/custom
7 >
8 > df -T, mount and findmnt all show this is mounted as a btrfs filesystem,
9 > e.g.
10 >
11 > /dev/nvme0n1p3 on /mnt/custom type btrfs (rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache)
12 >
13 > I can create files in here but cannot do anything btrfs-y
14 >
15 > % btrfs filesystem show /mnt/custom
16 > ERROR: not a valid btrfs filesystem: /mnt/custom
17 >
18 > % btrfs subvolume create /mnt/custom/test
19 > Create subvolume '/mnt/custom/test'
20 > ERROR: cannot create subvolume: Inappropriate ioctl for device
21 >
22 > Google has been no help at all.
23
24 Neil,
25
26 I've got a similar drive in my desktop and it actually works.
27 Difference: I am using Ext4.
28
29 Can you try Ext4 and see if it works?
30 Next test: Does it work with a non-NVMe drive?
31
32 Also, which kernel version?
35 Joost