From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] firmware update for an external (USB) hard drive
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:41:51
1 On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 7:06 AM, Helmut Jarausch
2 <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > googling didn't help me.
6 > I've just got an Intenso Memory Center. According to smartctl it contains a
7 > Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001-9YN166 hard disk.
8 > And smartctl reminds me to check for a firmware update, and indeed, there is
9 > one.
10 > But how can I update the firmware for hard disk connected via USB ?
11 > (The stand alone utility from Seagate doesn't see the drive.)
12 >
13 > Many thanks for a hint,
14
15 I believe you must attach the drive directly via SATA connection, not
16 USB. I have not heard of HDD firmware update working over USB ever.
17
18 If you are not suffering any problems known to be fixed by the
19 available firmware update, I would not worry about it.