From: JM <jmurray315@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: encrypted email (gentoo-windows)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:12:29
1 Hi - if you want to be able to send encrypted email from a linux machine
2 that a person using a windows machine can de-crypt and read securely, the
3 simplest way is to use the Gpg4win (for the windows machine) which
4 incorporates Claws Mail (a port of a linux email client which is also
5 available on Gentoo). Claws mail is in Portage. So at the simplest level, if
6 you install the Claws email on your linux box, along with a pgp encryption
7 tool (I think it's called Gpg, not 100% sure what the Portage package is,
8 but any pgp encryption tool will probably work, it may already be built in
9 to Claws), then advise your windows recipients to install Gpg4win (google
10 it) which is a windows package which includes Claws mail, you will be able
11 to exchange encrypted emails securely between linux and windows recipients.
12 On the windows machine, the Gpg4win package will encrypt & decrypt email,
13 you will only need to find a gpg related tool for the linux machine in order
14 to encrypt your emails on it before sending them. I'm not really sure what
15 gpg uses, it may well use pgp encryption which is standard and there will be
16 a tool in Portage which can encrypt and decrypt email using pgp (or at least
17 one to encrypt and decrypt any file which can then be forwarded by email).
18
19 TBH - the encryption side of it is really OS independent, but using Gpg4win
20 on windows and any linux email client which supports pgp encryption /
21 signing should give you what you are looking for (Gpg=Gnu Privacy Guard).
22 You will just need to double check that whatever you use on the linux side,
23 is compatible with Gpg.