From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE4+i945+kernel+external display = ?
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 06:05:48
1 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Intel_GMA
2
3 Welcome to our world of pain :(
4
5 I made some headway using "-hal" for xorg-server in USE, and IgnoreEDID
6 and setting DDC to false in xorg.conf but the latest updates ignore
7 those and the UXA settings in the link above (check the xorg log for
8 other dirty secrets)
9
10 I am using 2.6.31-r3 (with kernel mode setting by default for the i915 -
11 doesnt work well without it) and xorg-server 1.6.5.
12
13 Its a laptop and there is no easy solution as the external screens
14 (various) that I use with it often have only 1024x768 in common with its
15 own LCD and stupid xorg wont let me overide it without consequences
16 elsewhere :(
17
18 xorg sucks badly at the moment and there is no viable alternative to
19 switch to - and the saddest thing is the chipset has worked fine in the
20 past (sadly becoming distant past for me) ...
21
22 BillK
23