From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 17:11:11
1 вс, 6 янв. 2019 г. в 15:57, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>:
2 >
3 > On Sunday, 6 January 2019 11:05:10 GMT gevisz wrote:
4 >
5 > > I never used LVM as I believe that it increases the chance of [losing]
6 > > all the information on hard disks.
7 >
8 > Interesting. Would you like to explain why?
9
10 I had once a 40GB HDD failure and I have managed to restore
11 all the data on it by repeatedly putting it in a fridge what enabled
12 me to dd its partions for about 10 minutes or so. But in that case
13 the partitions were relatively small and the disk mounted quick
14 and easy. Now imagine that have failed a 4TB HDD disk that is
15 part of much bigger LVM volume. Moreover, suppose that it is
16 impossible to restore that part of the failed HDD disk that indexes
17 all that LVM volume...