From: Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Udevinfo or /sys/ problem in Gentoo
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:47:33
1 Hi
2
3 I need to distinguish several, mostly identical, USB devices from each
4 other by assigning them unique static names. I know there are primers(*)
5 that describe the process, and I try to follow them, but either the
6 gentoo /sys/ tree is broken in some way, or my system is broken, or the
7 primers / howto's are incorrect...
8
9 (*) http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/LinuxHelp_UDEVPrimer.html
10 (*) http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php
11
12 I'm really stuck with this, so by way of reference I tried another linux
13 flavour, and there the whole /sys tree and udevinfo DO work as expected.
14
15 So I need to find out what's wrong.
16 The docs tell you to run 'udevinfo -a -p /sys/<path>'. But under gentoo,
17 I cannot find the right path. This is what is listed under /sys/class/usb*:
18
19 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Feb 3 11:46 usb
20 drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 0 Feb 3 11:46 usb_host
21
22 The usb directory is completely empty, the usb_host directory has four
23 devices, being the hostcontrollers. But the attached devices are not
24 listed anywhere.
25 However, looking at another linux (Suse 10) I find three directories:
26
27 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Feb 2 16:27 usb
28 drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 0 Feb 2 16:27 usb_device
29 drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Feb 2 16:27 usb_host
30
31 And indeed, under usb_device I find all my attached devices...!
32
33 Under gentoo, I don't understand what should happen, and / or why it
34 doesn't. The kernel finds the device:
35
36 Feb 3 12:26:01 [kernel] usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using
37 uhci_hcd and address 6
38 Feb 3 12:26:02 [kernel] pl2303 2-2:1.0: PL-2303 converter detected
39
40 and the device gets registered under /dev and is useable:
41 Gentoo # ls -la /dev/tts/
42 crw-rw---- 1 root tty 188, 0 Feb 3 12:26 USB0
43
44 But still, no /sys/ entry to be found! Not under usb, nor anywhere else.
45 And this is not just that special USB device. I tried connecting mice,
46 memory sticks, cardreaders, network interfaces, even hubs... nothing.
49 Can someone please help me ? I've been wrestling with this issue for
50 weeks now... :-(
51
52 Thanks in advance,
53 Maarten