From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alternatives to knutclient
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 00:55:55
1 On 10/30/2017 12:40 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I did some looking around (I had an APC) and all the APC branded crap you
5 >> get in the stores are cheaper, inferior options. I found out the BX-prefixed
6 >> models don't even have proper AVR (they only correct when the voltage drops
7 >> below a certain point, they don't do anything in an overvoltage situation.
8 >> The BR-prefixed models are like the old UPS of lore, they offer true AVR for
9 >> both undervolt and overvolt situations, and the one I have even has an
10 >> option for an extra battery pack for extended runtime (BR1500G.)
11 >>
12 >> Basically anything in Best Buy, Staples, or similar stores is guaranteed to
13 >> have the consumer BX model junk.
16 > This is my experience as well. I went with a Cyberpower CP1500PFC and
17 > have been very happy with it, and I think it falls into the
18 > better-quality level of stuff (though I'm sure the server-oriented
19 > stuff is better still if you're willing to pay).
20 >
21 > I have no idea how long the battery will last but when it dies I'll
22 > probably replace it.
23 >
24 > The stuff sold in stores tends to be junk.
27 Yes, that's a good UPS, it's a pure sine wave UPS. APC makes those too,
28 but generally in the server/enterprise class (thinking Smart-UPS among
29 others) and not the home oriented market.
30
31 I figure for home use their better (best?) home oriented model should
32 suffice. I don't have a picky power supply that needs a pure sine wave
33 UPS, although I have realized a lot of newer power supplies strongly
34 recommend a pure sine wave and not a stepped sine wave such as in the
35 home models (the entry- and mid-models.)
36
37 From what I recall if your PSU buzzes while on battery, that's bad and
38 your PSU is not happy...
39
40 Dan