From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 02:32:34
1 David W Noon wrote:
2 >
3 > You have just touched on an annoyance of unmerge, in that it does not
4 > clean up configuration files that have been modified. It removes files
5 > that are still in the same state as when the package was emerged, but
6 > not those modified by the user. I don't see how user changes make the
7 > file more important than would be in its vanilla state.
8 >
9 > Perhaps an option to remove (by an unmerge, not etc-update or the
10 > like) these genuinely orphaned files could be set in /etc/make.conf.
13 There are times that if portage removed a config file, I would not be
14 happy. Sometimes I unmerge a package then remerge but want to keep the
15 config files.
16
17 Would I like there to be the option, yep, I sure would. There are also
18 times when I want to get rid of a package and all its config files. The
19 option would be nice but it should be a option.
20
21 Dale
22