From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I can RTFM, but can I understand it: re elog messages
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:41:43
1 On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 20 August 2010 14:20:35 Bill Longman wrote:
4 > > On 08/19/2010 04:38 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > > On Thursday 19 August 2010 21:21:20 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
6 > > >> So I looked up "auto-hinter" in the flagedit(1) program. It says:
7 > > >> auto-hinter: Local Flag: Use the unpatented auto-hinter instead
8 > > >> of the (recommended) TrueType bytecode interpreter (media-
9 > > >> libs/freetype)
10 > > >>
11 > > >> The placement of the "(recommended)" is just a bit ambiguous.
12 > > >
13 > > > No, it isn't. You may be being confused by the unnecessary
14 > > > inclusion of brackets (parentheses if you're American); remove
15 > > > them and you see that the TrueType byte-code interpreter is
16 > > > recommended. Or, just consider the phrase "the recommended
17 > > > TrueType bytecode interpreter", with or without brackets. I can't
18 > > > see how that could be thought ambiguous.
19 > >
20 > > I have to agree it's ambiguous. You have to wonder why the
21 > > parenthetical "recommended" is offset if it's just part of the
22 > > sentence. If it were as you say, there would be no need to put them
23 > > there. As it is written it sounds like it's making an aside claiming
24 > > that one of them is recommended and, by its placement, it's hard to
25 > > discern its antecedent.
26 >
27 > Its placement puts it squarely with the noun phrase following it. To
28 > associate it with the preceding one instead would be perverse. (Just to
29 > continue flogging a dead horse...) :-)
30 >
31 > I agree though that the brackets are neither necessary nor helpful.
34 Interesting replies all, especially the OT ones about parentheses, about
35 which more later.
36
37 For the me the confusion arises because I've become used to seeing
38 "(recommended)" coming just after the item being described as such. So I
39 would see options a, b (recommended), or c. This was my reason for making
40 the guess I did, although the rest of the punctuation was less clear than my
41 example, thus the ambiguity. As was pointed out, it also struck me that if
42 "recommended" was intended to apply to the second option, the () thingies
43 were better omitted.
44
45 <OT>
46 As to the thingies, I enjoyed discovering that to many people a parenthesis
47 is not a glyph or punctuation mark, but instead the contents of the language
48 set aside in one way or another. I had always regarded parentheses as the
49 round glyphs (), but this turns out to be normative primarily in
50 mathematics, computer programming languages and similar fields. But I find
51 several competing meanings and sources using
52 http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=parenthesis&ia=luna
53 ==================================================================================================
54 pa·ren·the·sis  [image: parenthesis
55 pronunciation]<http://dictionary.reference.com/audio.html/lunaWAV/P01/P0114800>
56  /pəˈrɛnθəsɪs/ <http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html>
57 Show
58 Spelled[puh-ren-thuh-sis]
59 <http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html> Show IPA
60 –noun, plural -ses [image: parenthesis
61 pronunciation]<http://dictionary.reference.com/audio.html/lunaWAV/P01/P0114900>
62  /-ˌsiz/ <http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html> Show
63 Spelled[-seez]
64 <http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html> Show IPA.
65 1.
66 either or both of a pair of signs ( ) used in writing to mark off an
67 interjected explanatory or qualifying remark, to indicate separate groupings
68 of symbols in mathematics<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mathematics>
69 and symbolic logic, etc.
70 2.
71 Usually, parentheses. the material contained within these marks.
72 3.
73 Grammar . a qualifying, explanatory, or appositive word, phrase, clause, or
74 sentence that interrupts a syntactic construction without otherwise
75 affecting it, having often a characteristic intonation and indicated in
76 writing by commas, parentheses, or dashes, as in William Smith—you must know
77 him—is coming tonight.
78 4.
79 an interval.
80
81 Dictionary.com, "parenthesis," in *Dictionary.com Unabridged*. Source
82 location: Random House, Inc.
83 http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/parenthesis. Available:
84 http://dictionary.reference.com. Accessed: August 20, 2010.
85 ------------------------------
86 *Origin: *
87 1560–70; < LL < Gk parénthesis a putting in beside. See
88 par-<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/par->,
89 en- <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/en->2 ,
90 thesis<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thesis>
91 Dictionary.com Unabridged
92 Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2010.
95 =================================================================================================
96 also this:
97 *parenthesis * (pəˈrɛnθɪsɪs) [image: [Click for IPA pronunciation
98 guide]]<http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html>
99 — *n * , *pl * *-ses * 1. a phrase, often explanatory or qualifying,
100 inserted into a passage with which it is not grammatically connected, and
101 marked off by brackets, dashes, etc 2. Also called: *bracket * either of a
102 pair of characters, (), used to enclose such a phrase or as a sign of
103 aggregation in mathematical or logical expressions 3. an intervening
104 occurrence; interlude; interval 4. *in parenthesis * inserted as a
105 parenthesis [C16: via Late Latin from Greek: something placed in besides,
106 from *parentithenai, * from para- 1 + en- ² + *tithenai * to put]
107 Dictionary.com,
108 "parenthesis," in *Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th
109 Edition*. Source location: HarperCollins Publishers.
110 http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/parenthesis. Available:
111 http://dictionary.reference.com. Accessed: August 20, 2010.
112 =================================================================================================
113 And, finally
114
115 Word Origin & History
116
117 parenthesis
118 1550, "words, clauses, etc. inserted into a sentence," from M.Fr.
119 parenthèse, from L.L. parenthesis "addition of a letter to a syllable in a
120 word," from Gk. parenthesis, lit. "a putting in beside," from parentithenai
121 "put in beside," from para- "beside" + en- "in" + tithenai "put, place,"
122 from PIE base *dhe- "to put, to do" (see
123 factitious<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/factitious>).
124 Extension of the word to the curved brackets that indicate the words
125 inserted is from 1715.
126
127 Dictionary.com, "parenthesis," in *Online Etymology Dictionary*. Source
128 location: Douglas Harper, Historian.
129 http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/parenthesis. Available:
130 http://dictionary.reference.com. Accessed: August 20, 2010.
131
132 </OT>