From: Frank Schafer <frank.schafer@×××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Nasty bugs in portage?
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:14:23
1 ... or which distribution to install during less than 4 days?
2
3 Hi list,
4
5 as I wrote yesterday I planned to complete installation after work
6 (started ``emerge --emptytree system'' in the morning).
7
8 When I returned home from work I found in the logs, that ``emerge
9 --emptytree system'' failed at package 28 of 186
10
11 python-fcksum-1.7.1
12 i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc ....bla...bla
13 ^
14 |
15 +- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
16
17 gcc-config error:
18 could not run/locate "i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc"
19
20 My architecture is i686 and it seems that 27 packages before
21 python-fchksum found the i686(that's SIX-eight-six)-pc-linux-gnu-gcc.
22
23 Could be my fault. I had set up ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to "~x86".
24
25 Today in the morning I started up from scratch. That's about an hour of
26 editing files, making file systems and so on, 1,5 hours of bootstrap.sh.
27
28 ``emerge -p --emptytree system'' showed me, that it will install
29 python-fchksum with the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86" too. So far, so good.
30 Yesterday I got a portage snapshot 20050907, today I got a portage
31 snapshot 20050908. Maybe the bug is fixed. So I started emerge system.
32 At least it didn't install two versions of gcc. That saved some time. It
33 ran 2,5 hours and ...
34
35 ... kabooooom ...
36
37 Unfortunately I can't tell you if the python-fchksum failure has gone
38 away. I didn't reach this ebuild :(
39
40 automake-1.25-r3
41 autoconf-2.58 or better is required
42
43 That's package 24 of 186 (or so).
44
45 Why the hell do we try to install x versions of autoconf and
46 automake?????
47
48 So my presumption for the time demand of a Gentoo installation looks
49 like this.
50
51 A breakage will occure every 15'th package (2 breakages during the first
52 30 within 2 days).
53
54 That makes 15 days for a package amount something below 200. (BTW that's
55 the time it took me to build a full featured LFS system.)
56 New bugs will occur (I'm seeing this on this list "emerge -u world"
57 broke this_and_tahat_or_something_else posts, and that for I left gentoo
58 a year ago.).
59 If bugs are removed twice as quick as new ones arise I'll need about ONE
60 MONTH (!!!!!!!!) to get a running system.
61
62 This "breaks" even the time demand of installation AND configuration of
63 a 4 node IBM AIX HCMP cluster!
64
65 So which distribution would you suggest me to install during less than 4
66 days? I'm wondering about Slackware.
67
68 I've set up my USE flags to everything I'll want from the final system.
69 There is a DVD burner so I included everything regarding to CD/DVD, all
70 af the audio and video codecs, disabled kde and gnome (I'll never use
71 this), enabled emacs (my favorite editor), bash-completion, xaw3d, all
72 of the image formats and xinerama, disabled emboss (I don't have a clue
73 why THIS is a default). There is a sound card so I enabled all audio
74 related flags. I plan to install Oracle 9i on this machine, thus I
75 enabled oracle.
76
77 Should I start to only disable the things I won't need for the ``emerge
78 --emptytree sysrem'' and re-edit the USE flags afterward? Hmmm... this
79 probably doesn't solve the automake problem and disabling python to
80 solve the python-fchksum problem IMHO isn't a good idea because emerge
81 and thus gentoo itself is python based.
82
83 I'd be glad for every hint. Waiting for fixage isn't an option.
84
85 Regards
86 Frank
89 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list