From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Multi-user login manager
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 14:07:20
1 On 2021-07-12, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 7/12/21 2:21 PM, antlists wrote:
3 >> Two problems - I would like to run without X, but it seems that the
4 >> greeters need X to run ...
5
6 Yes, they do. Why do you need a "greeter"?
7
8 > I'm not familiar with the term "greeter", but I assume that you're
9 > referring to the display manager that functions as the GUI login screen.
10 >
11 >> Also I want to run a multi-user system. I know you can put multiple
12 >> monitors on one graphics card, and that gives you a multi-head system,
13 >> but I've got TWO graphics cards. I want to plug in two keyboards, two
14 >> mice, and have two users sitting there.
15
16 I don't think that's possible if what you want is two instances of a
17 Linux console.
18
19 > I would naively assume ~> expect that this is possible.
20 >
21 > I would expect that you would probably need two different graphics cards.
22 >
23 > I'm guessing no more than one set of PS/2 keyboard & mouse and that the
24 > other (if not both) will be USB.
25 >
26 > Configuration may be ornery, but I would assume ~> expect that this is
27 > possible to do. After all, you're really talking about having the
28 > system function as two independent X11 servers,
29
30 The OP explicitly stated he wants to run without X. AFAICT he wants
31 two separte Linux consoles. I don't think that's possible.
34 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! We are now enjoying
35 at total mutual interaction in
36 gmail.com an imaginary hot tub ...