From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing profiles
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:53:28
1 On Tuesday 23 December 2008 19:51:37 Willie Wong wrote:
2 > Going from non-hardened to hardened may run into some downgrading
3 > problems, however, in view of the above. For example, hardened devs
4 > still have not put gcc4 in stable (at least on x86, I don't know about
5 > amd64), so if you have gcc4 installed, you'll need to downgrade. Along
6 > the same lines some packages that will not compile unless you use gcc4
7 > cannot be installed (lilypond for example).
8
9 I suspect downgrading from non-hardened to hardened will be impossible;
10
11 glibc-2.6.1 is stable on x86 at least, so in all probability almost all x86
12 boxen will at least have that.
13
14 But >=glibc-2.6 is hard masked on x86 so there is no commonality and no
15 version available where the glibc ebuild will even permit this required
16 downgrade. It would seem that a reinstall is the only possible way to do
17 this.
20 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com