From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: problem with Fetchmail
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 10:04:00
1 200304 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 4/3/20 8:58 am, Jack wrote:
3 >> Can you try to run fetchmail manually,
4 >> perhaps with increased verbosity or debug output ?
5 > Fetchmail itself is independent of cron -
6 > it doesn't use it for scheduling,
7 > at least in the configurations I use (fcron).
8 > You can cron fetchmail, buts that's not normal.
9 > 'cron' programs by default have a very stripped down environment
10 > which is the usual cause of errors & can be hard to identify whats missing.
11 > If it's something like emailing an error log or test commands,
12 > run the commands from the error message manually,
13 > then via a test cron entry to narrow it down.
14 > Try grep'ing /etc to find the actual commands.
15
16 Thanks to both. I've found the source of the msgs :
17 Fetchmail was polling 2 mail servers, my ISP + a university a/c ;
18 when I commented the lines for the latter in .fetchmailrc , they stopped.
19 Since I no longer expect to get mail via the UoT a/c,
20 I can leave it at that, tho' perhaps I should amend my sig below.
24 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
25 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
26 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca