From: Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia kernel module API version mismatch
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 12:59:34
1 Aleksander Okonski wrote:
2 > Hey,
3 >
4 > I have run into a strange problem with my nvidia drivers and gentoo. I am currently
5 > running kernel 4.14.14 and I upgraded my x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers to 390.42 from 390.25.
6 > Once the new drivers were installed I rebooted my laptop. Once rebooted I was unable to
7 > start the xorg server using startx and was greeted with errors. The /var/logs/xorg.0.log
8 > said that the problem was with the kernel module. Looking at dmesg I see that I am getting
9 > the error:
10 >
11 > NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 390.42, but this kernel module has version
12 > 390.25. please make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the
13 > same version.
16 I had a similar problem for months, finally I looked into /lib or /usr/lib (I think it was
17 an nvidia/ subdirectory of these) and found that some symlinks where pointing to old
18 versions of the libraries provided by nvidia. I adjusted the symlinks to point to the new
19 versions and the message disappeared.
20
21 Sorry I cannot be more precise but it was some time ago and right now I'm on an
22 nvidia-less system.
23
24 Note that in my case it was just an annoying log message, the server did start successfully.
25
26 raffaele