From: "Sebastian Günther" <samson@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changes in the way USB devices are mounted
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:07:42
1 * Mick (michaelkintzios@×××××.com) [22.07.08 20:08]:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I suspect that something changed recently on the way that USB devices are
5 > mounted. I noticed that mounting a USB flash drive has stopped working as
6 > follows:
7 No, I think pmount behavior changed:
8
9 it now honors entries in the fstab.
13 > $ pmount /dev/sda
14 > Error: device /dev/sda is not removable
15 > ==================================
16 >
17 Normally you should mount by mountpoint not device node.
18
19 > However, clicking on the device in Konqueror under media:/ mounts it happily
20 > under /media/disk. Previously it would mount it under /media/sda and the
21 > pmount command would not error out as shown above.
22 > ==================================
23
24 I think, there is an apropiate entry in the fstab, so pmount has not to
25 create an new mountpoint.
26
27 > $ mount
28 > [snip...]
29 > /dev/sda on /media/disk type vfat
30 > (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,flush,uid=1000,utf8,shortname=lower)
31 > ==================================
32 >
33 > I also noticed that "shortname=lower" is set as the default, which is annoying
34 > because the file/folder names are forced to display in lower case.
35 >
36 OK what's in /etc/fstab?
37
38 > I am using dbus and hald with a Fluxbox WM so the default KDE behaviour with
39 > the automounting pop up dialog does not work here (unless I have launched the
40 > full KDE DE).
41 >
42 Then you should think about ivman if you want automounter support. And
43 Fluxbox rocks :-)
44
45 HTH
46 Sebastian
49 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx
50
51 SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@××××××××××××××××.de