From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Hungry firefox
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 15:39:13
1 Peter Humphrey <peter <at> prh.myzen.co.uk> writes:
4 > Hello list,
5 >
6 > Has anyone else here noticed firefox consuming 15% or so of CPU time, even
7 > while it's not supposed to be doing anything? This is version 31.5.3, with
8 > just AdBlock Plus and YesScript added. I have remerged it and saw no
9 > difference.
10 >
11 > [ebuild R ] www-client/firefox-31.5.3::gentoo
12
13 Installed versions: 31.5.3(01:48:14 AM 03/28/2015)(bindist dbus gstreamer
14 jit minimal
18 Well yes and no. Not according to htop. Seamonkey is the resource hog;
19 or using the most resources (40-60 %). Firefox is 1-4%. I keep both
20 open with dozens of tabs. The sad thing is my (8)( core amd 8350
21 with 32 Gig of ram is barely using (1) core, unless I compile a
22 big multi-thread package. What I do have is almost a full second of
23 keyboard response latency. I can close both and the system is snappy
24 on response. I open either one (FF or SM) and the 3 dozen or so tabs
25 and it's back to keyboard lag; even though the resource utilization is
26 scant (1-1.5 cores/8 and 5300/32093MB).
29 Since the kernel dev folks have change so much over the last few years.
30 I figure I need to take a long hard look at what is enabled in the kernel,
31 and how resources are awakened or idle'd via some kernel-profiling. It's
32 most likely some advanced power conservation feature(s) that need tweaking,
33 is my best guess.
34
35 I have a system with plenty of extra, expensive ram and idle cores should;
36 it not be sluggish, uniless a big hog of a single threaded process
37 is not being properly managed.
38
39 Even when my browsers are not (actively) being use but open, I get
40 the horrible sluggishness now; and I'm running lxde.......not kde.
41
42 Sometimes I can hardly type it's so bad. I have always had lots of
43 tabs open for years and not experienced this sort of lag. Minimal resource
44 utilization, but horrible lag.
45
46 I've installed and ran' sys-power/powertop and it has some interesting
47 information; but theres still no conclusion as to what is causing
48 this inherent systematic latency. I do suspect FF and SM and Thunderbird
49 are part of the problem, but overal resource utilzation is well below 20%
50 (ram and cores) all the time, except when compiling.
53 hth,
54
55 James